Monday 21 March 2011

The camera

  ' I am an eye. A mechanical eye. I, the machine, show you a world the way only I can see it. I free myself for today and forever from human immobility. I'm in constant movement. I approach and pull away from. I creep under them. I move alongside a running horse's mouth. I fall and rise with the falling and rising bodies. This is I, the machine, manoeuvring in the chaotic movements, recording one movement after another in the most complex combinations. 
 Freed from the boundaries of time and space, I co-ordinate any and all points of the universe, wherever I want them to be. My way leads towards the creation of a fresh perception of the world. Thus I explain in a new way the world unknown to you.' 
 
 This is a quote from John Berger's book 'Ways of seeing' but it is originally from 'an article written in1923 by Dziga Vertov, the revolutionary Soviet film director'. It describes exactly what the camera was and continue to be nowadays, something very important in the humans life. The film camera changed our lifes radically and only in a good way, maybe. It says it very clearly in the quote, what the camera was and what is now even after these years. It is a 'machine', but it is made and operated by people. Without it the world will be completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment